Thursday, May 24, 2007

Singing Points

Not unlike Halley's Comet, every once in a while the New Mexican daily paper emerges to contribute something useful to The Discussion. The latest offering comes courtesy of Steve Terrell and his analysis of presidential theme songs. A tip of the cap to Terrell, but it occurs to us that theme songs only serve a solitary purpose. Which is why I've compiled the following list of songs tailor-made to be the soundtrack for any prospective Richardson talking points:

BR4P advertising campaign: “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles.
Budget deficit: “2+2=5” by Radiohead.
California primary: “Beverly Hills” by Weezer.
Campaign schedule: “Gone ‘til November” by Wyclef Jean.
Domestic partnerships: “Gay Bar” by Electric Six.
Foreign Policy: “Come Together” by the Beatles.
Fundraising: “C.R.E.A.M.” by Wu-Tang Clan.
George W. Bush: “American Idiot” by Green Day.
Global Warming: “This is Why I’m Hot” by MIMS.
Gubernatorial appointments: “Ain’t No Fun (If the Homies Can’t Have None)” by Snoop Dogg.
Health Care: “Be Healthy” by Dead Prez.
Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards: “Ain’t Sayin’ Nothin’ New” by the Roots.
Immigration: “Walk The Line” by Johnny Cash.
Inappropriate touching of lieutenant governors: “I Touch Myself” by the Divinyls.
International diplomacy: “I’m Afraid of Americans” by David Bowie.
Iowa caucus: “A Thousand Miles From Nowhere” by Dwight Yoakam.
Iraq: “B.O.B.” by Outkast.
Jerry Falwell: “Dead and Bloated” by Stone Temple Pilots.
Latino Heritage: “Lean Like a Cholo” by Down.
Name recognition: “Who Am I (What’s My Name?)” by Snoop Dogg.
Nevada caucus: “Viva Las Vegas” by Elvis Presley.
New Hampshire primary: “Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town” by Pearl Jam.
New Mexico: “It’s Good to be King” by Tom Petty.
Next “I’m Running For President” Announcement: “Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake.
Presidential polls: “Underdog” by Sly and the Family Stone.
Resumé: “Ch-Check it Out” by the Beastie Boys.
South Carolina primary: “Raise Up” by Petey Pablo.
Speeding tickets: “I’m in a Hurry and Don’t know Why” by Alabama.
US Attorney firings: “I Think I Smell a Rat” by the White Stripes.

No comments: